January 10, 2011

Memoirs of My Melancholy Shoes

I like the concept of minimalism, really I do. I downsized to a studio apartment and feel proud being able to say, I am only taking up as much room as I need. Of course, in developing countries, families of 10 may live together in a space the same size, but everything, of course, is relative.

I had started to downsize my belongings in preparation for the since cancelled move to Chile. I took boxes of distasteful books to the used shop around the way. I threw away damaged clothes and planned a trip to my favorite consignment shop. Other miscellaneous items, such as art supplies, were also getting the critical eye. You know what? I don't miss anything I've tossed and honestly can't remember most of what it was.

After returning from my extended trip, it took me 5 days before I realized that I had left my current favorite pair of shoes in Maryland. This means two things: 1) I am horrible at unpacking and the contents of my luggage only got put away yesterday and 2) I have too many pairs of shoes. I have been adhering to some notions associated with the minimalism fad. For example, I try to focus on spending money on experiences, such as classes, trips and massages, I invest in healthy foods to fuel my body, I purchased a kindle and use my computer as my TV, etc. I generally don't bring a lot of things into my house.

The exception is shoes. I visit Piperlime an average of 3 times per week to check out their new arrivals. I have 3 pairs of Tom's. I have 3 pairs of black boots and 5 pairs of brown boots and 2 pairs of gray boots. I have 2 pairs of gold shoes and 3 pairs of silver shoes. I have 2 pairs of Converse and 2 pairs of Keds. I have 4 pairs of "real" athletic shoes. I have 3 pairs of "birdcage" shoes. I could go on.

So I'll go ahead and be honest. I've always wanted to write something entitled Memoirs of My Melancholy something. After the Gabriel Garcia Marquez book, Memories of My Melancholy Whores, which I enjoyed reading, but the title was definitely the biggest take away. I've considered writing up my personal memoirs, similarly themed, but it seems kind of low brow (although it would be hilarious, guaranteed). Plus, if I'm speaking the truth here, I might as well admit those memoirs are far from being complete.

My shoes aren't so melancholy. Unless shoes can become sad for not getting enough attention. Sort of how I rotated which of my dolls slept in my bed when I was a girl so they wouldn't get their feelings hurt. Sometimes I wish more people would treat one another with as much compassion as I treated my dolls.